Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter

I realize there are a lot of you who greet Easter like a major holiday. Shopping, decorating, cooking, gathering...but even when my kids were little, we rarely had an explosion of bunny rabbits and colored eggs and delicious ham in my house.

Sure, I would help the kids dye eggs. With those simple little Paas kits that usually came with only one flimsy wire egg-remover.


 The kids fought over that wire through the whole process, crying, fighting and spilling artificial coloring all over the tablecloth. If I had been a smart mom, I would have saved those stupid tools year after year so they could have their very own. But usually by the time the eggs were done and the fighting was over, they had bent the hell out of that egg extractor.

Martha Stewart is a liar. She makes it look like peace, harmony, and family fun. After two rolls of paper towels, a gallon of glitter, broken waxy crayons and sheets of stickers, we ended up with three dozen brownish, sparkly, cracked eggs that sat in a bowl of plastic grass until they rotted. So much for the egg tradition.


There are few years when I cooked an Easter dinner. But I can tell you now that it was no where near the dream I had of it. In my dream, the ham was succulent, had that perfect sweet/salty ratio, and melted in your mouth like marshmallow meat. Of course my dream mashed potatoes were silky smooth and loaded with butter, the green bean casserole close to magazine-cover worthy, and the desserts were beautifully artistic and a pleasure to the palate.

After so many dry, tasteless hams, lumpy starch-infused mashed potatoes, stringy green beans and failed desserts, I finally quit trying to achieve something beyond my limited capabilities.



Decorating for Easter? Well, I was never a real fan of pastels. There are only so many bunnies and chick pictures you want clinging to your front windows. And giant eggs on the lawn made me think of Jurassic Park gone gay. Nowadays chocolate is my choice of design. And around here, it never melts, rots, or fails.

I haven't bought an Easter dress in my life. Or a hat. Or shoes. There goes another tradition that I've avoided somehow...

But although these things aren't infused into my Easter holiday, that doesn't mean I don't celebrate.

I celebrate everyday that the Lord is my Savior and the King of Kings. That He died for my sins and rose from the dead... and because I believe in Him and follow His Word, I will have everlasting life.



Like I heard someone say the other day- "It's not about the bunny, it's about the lamb".

Have a glorious and blessed Easter!

4 comments:

  1. Your past Easter's sound so much like mine! After so many years (with my girls) dying eggs I am in no way interested in introducing the grandkids to it...after all, they do have parents!

    Have a blessed Easter, Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - had me laughing right up to the last and then brought a tear to my eye. Love you - Have a blessed Easter! K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rae you have the capability of making the most beautiful Easter Dinner of anyone I know, however you chose to spend it with your precious children letting them make their own memories, You have blessed memories of them and their Easter Egg Dye, but you hit the nail ( no pun intended) on the head when you talk about Jesus Christ dying, the nails in his hands and feet will always remind us of what he did for us,,, Easter is Resurrection Day and to me every Sunday is,,,,, god bless. love you bl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!!! Sorry I haven't been here commenting. I've been seeing doctors. LOL

    ReplyDelete