Tuesday, July 23, 2013

That Bites!

What's today's buzz? Well, it's officially Mosquito Day. A  twenty four hour tribute to those pesky insects that have done more to ruin a family picnic than dog poop on the Frisbee.

For a tiny bug that only weighs 2.5 milligrams, they can sure pack a punch. Not only do they leave behind an irritating itch and red bumps, they take with them five millionths of a liter of your blood with every bite.

But it's not really a bite. Mosquitoes don't have teeth. They pierce and suck.

Interestingly, only female mosquitoes "bite". They have a long proboscus which does the piercing and sucking, and it has 6 parts: 2 pairs of sharp, knife-like cutters to pierce the skin, and 2 tubes, one for sucking blood and the other for inserting a numbing agent into the skin of the victim.
 
Studies show that 20% of people are especially delicious to mosquitos.
I am one of them. 
In fact, I am tasty to just about every stinging, biting, sucking, crawling, flying, creeping bug in this universe. As soon as they spy me coming out of they house they have a party. On my skin. They get drunk off my blood.

If you are one of the unfortunate mosquito targets, there are a few things you can try to lower your chances of becoming a feast.

1. Don't drink. Mosquitoes are more attracted to those who drink beer or alcohol.

2. Wear light colored clothing. Mosquitos can see you better when you are wearing dark clothes.

3. Change your blood type. Studies show that Mosquitos land on those with Type O blood twice as much as those with Type A. Type B blood fell somewhere in the middle.

4. Wear clean clothing and take a shower. Mosquitoes are attracted to stinky feet, perspiration and skin bacteria.

5. Don't get pregnant. Pregnant women are twice as likely to be bitten.

6. Experiment with natural deterrents such as lemon oil, clove oil, and lavender.

Or you can always do as I do. Stay inside!


1 comment:

  1. They seem to think I am their main course! I try to wear lite colored clothing, I don't drink that stuff, I will check into changing my blood type, and I have cured the pregnancy issue. I guess I had better change my blood. Maybe a drive to Forks, Wa. for "Twilight". You never know, it might work!! Hugs and no bugs bites, Gail

    ReplyDelete