Monday, July 15, 2013

If Zucchinis Were Zombies

If zucchinis were zombies, I'd be dead right now.

Yeah, you heard me. They are out there lurking in the garden. Tons of them. They think they can hide  beneath the cucumber vines or behind the pole beans, but I know they are there. And some of them are huge. They just keep coming and coming and I'm almost afraid to even go out into the garden again.

Oh, I've tried my best to dispose of them. Stabbed them in their crisp green necks and fried them up with bread crumbs. I've baked them into breads, stews, casseroles and pies.

But they never die. They keep re-animating..
They keep getting closer and closer to the house. They keep taunting me. I dream of them in my sleep, I worry about them during my day, and I secretly think of ways to destroy them.

I've got a bunch of them in my sink right now and I'm gonna shred them to pieces. I'm gonna make me some Piña Colada Zucchini Zombie Bread. That's the only way I know to kill them and not feel guilty. Got some ready for the freezer, too.

Darn zombie zukes!

Anyone wanna come help me in this fight? Bring your fork!


Piña Colada Zucchini Zombie Bread

(Adapted from a Taste of Home Recipe that made no mention of zombies whatsoever)

Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling Yield: 36 Servings

4 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups canola oil
1 teaspoon each coconut, rum and vanilla extracts
3 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup canned DOLE® Crushed Pineapple in 100% Pineapple Juice, drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chopped pecans

Directions
Line the bottoms of three greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the zucchini, pineapple and walnuts.
Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Gently remove waxed paper. Yield: 3 loaves (12 slices each).

Nutritional Facts ( but who really cares about this?)

1 slice equals 225 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.

ENJOY!










2 comments:

  1. We can never wait for those first fruits but quickly our excitement turns to panic as the fruits of our labor threaten to overtake our world. I would suggest throwing them in the forest for the animals, but am afraid of what terrors that may bring love you all... KAF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought of something - could use them for target practice, or maybe even nailing/screwing practice :-)

    ReplyDelete