Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Tinker and I

I know there are rare occasions when I say stupid things. Days when I am extra tired, misinformed, or looking for a good laugh. But lately my husband, who is usually very methodic and intelligent, has spit out some really stupid things.
For example, a few days ago he was doing some work outside and I was watching. Sometimes I learn a lot by watching him tinker. Other times I'm just there for company.
He was diligently filling things with gear oil, lubing joints and adjusting doohickeys. 
"Got a crescent wrench?" He says.
It took me a minute to respond. 
What I really wanted to say was, "Why, yes,dear, as a matter of fact, I do. I always keep one tucked into my bra or my back pocket. A girl never knows when a crescent wrench emergency might arise."

I just looked at him like he was stupid.

And then I scooted quickly to the truck where his tool bag rested. Bingo.

Later that evening he decided to do some measurements on the garage he is preparing to build. I offered to hold the tape measure. Then he asks me:
"What is half of 39 and 7/8 or a quarter of that fractional multiplier on the diagonal?" Or something like that.

I just looked at him like he was stupid.

And then I went in the house for a cookie.

This morning while I was sleeping, my husband covered me lightly with a sheet and I woke up. It was 2 a.m.

"Hi." He says softly,"you wanna go outside and see the full moon?"

I just looked at him like he was stupid.

Then I realized that was the most beautiful, romantic thing I had ever heard.

I realize, too, that our lives are changing. In this new place,we are new people. Less formal, more relaxed, bigger dreamers and go-ahead-and-do-ers. 

I may not always enjoy the work and sweat and carrying the crescent wrench. I may resent the math problems, the bugs, the piles of planning...and the stupid questions.
But I do love that I am needed and included in my husband's everyday routines.

Even if it's just to gaze at the stars.

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm jealous! =) Enjoy, Rae! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww - that is so sweeet! K

    ReplyDelete