Friday, May 3, 2013

Day Three

It has rained all night. The sound on the tin roof made for peaceful slumber and a mug of hot coffee this morning tops off this day of rest. Not much we can do in our new little home except unpack a few boxes and make some plans for next week. One more trip to rescue a few things and our move will be complete. Yet, already it seems we have lived here forever.

Moving from a 2000 square foot house and 2000 square foot barn into a 400 square foot cabin is mind boggling. I'm not a math whiz, but I'm smart enough to know that it can only equal disaster.

 I almost lost it when the screened porch became a maze of bags, boxes, buckets and blankets- piled high on the just-moved bunk beds, sending the set of rockers and my house plants out to brave the elements. But my husband must have sensed my nervous breakdown coming on. He immediately starting organizing the chaos, sorting through items a second time and sending another truck load to storage. 

It's not perfect. But it's livable. I still have clothes in trash bags and bills stuffed in the hamper ...but I'll have time later to manage that.
Actually the cabin is kind of cozy. I have my two dressers full of clothes, our electronics set up ( with Dish! Yes!!), and I did a bit of decorating just to make me feel better. The rain makes it a lazy day and its nice to be able to sit back and dream awhile. And nap. And snack. 

And probably nap again...

The couple who bought our house seem so excited! I imagine her trying out all the light switches, moving her furniture till it looks just right, and taping paint swatches to the walls and looking back with a critical eye.
 Her little girls were such fun! They loved running through the empty rooms and picking out favorite places. I can almost see them snuggled in their rooms after a bedtime story and feeling warm and safe...

I haven't deceived myself into thinking the hard part is over. I know there are trying days ahead. Days when the walls will squeeze my need for stretching out and times when I'll be tired of helping with new construction....afternoons when the gnats will drive me crazy and the summer nights will seem too long. 

But at least we have begun...we have crossed through the starting gate ...and we're a good team.

3 comments:

  1. good hang in bl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! I think it will be a great new phase of your lives together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you both and proud of you both for how you have worked as a team to accomplish. Blessings in your new home.. K

    ReplyDelete