Wednesday, April 17, 2013

To Bloom Again



First off, let me apologize to all of you who have ever made a major move. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you...to comfort, help, advise, rally...or put you out of your misery. I realize I've been so unsympathetic to those brave souls who have done this countless number of times...dug up their giant rootball of life and planted it elsewhere.

Yet, some things in life you must do alone. And, other than the occasional bark by my husband, it has been a solo experience. And a startling flashback of the past eighteen years in this house.

In order to pack properly, I must sift through memories that have been dormant in the closets of my heart forever. Pulling them out into the light makes them breathe again, recharge, become fragrant with forgotten scents... and soft with bittersweet tears. It has made the calendar of life come crushing down upon my head and has ticked away the years like a video on fast forward. Regrets become visible. Promises lay unkept. Youth is lost ...and nothing will ever be the same.

How can it be that these lopsided boxes with their ribbons of crooked tape be all that I am? Is my life actually reduced to piles of books, bins of paint, tubs of photos, and bags of clothing? Why do I bother to take this kind of luggage with me?  Why do I feel I must pack that wad of paper clips, the tube of suntan lotion, the old check books and worn slippers and too small belts? Why can't starting over really mean starting over?

But, then again, how could I possibly leave behind the things that compose my very soul? I will not, cannot, must not erase these years, this house, these things...just because my rootball needs a
transplant! These things are like layers of my Life. They are sewn into my skin, they are nourishment for my smiles, they will warm me on a cold winter night...they will comfort me in the last days of my life.

I realize that the human body is not made to accept excitement and stress at the same time. Blending both is a recipe for a nervous breakdown! I am so excited to move to the big woods, but my heart tries to grab onto the doorway of this house and refuses to go out. My memories flash so quickly before my eyes that I grow weary with the visions...I try to block them out...fight the good fight...persevere and continue forward.

Years ago when my dad passed away, we all knew his house would eventually be sold. I dug up a tulip bulb from my mom's flower bed to keep as a cherished memory of that house and that time in my life. He was buried in November. And I found myself digging a hole near my porch steps and burying that tulip in the cold ground, never really expecting it to ever bloom again.

But it did. Love is rich with strength and miracles. With faith, I know I will bloom again and my roots will grow thick and deep in a new place.

I stepped outside this morning. A yellow tulip blooms at the corner of my porch. A solitary flower
that I look upon with tears in my eyes.
"I love you, too, Dad," I say, "but it's time to go."

5 comments:

  1. I wish you would put down deep roots in a blog address so I could stop losing you! =) Beautiful as always, Rae! Blessings on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo now you done it, made me cry as usual. I remember selling my home in Dix, and I too went thru that all alone, Sitting in the parking lot at the place you close on houses, Relator who sold my house sold it to a young couple, he was their relator too, so there I sat all alone with a check in my hand that didn't mean anything tome at that moment, he was congratulating the young couple who bought it, I sat there for what seemed like eternity, thinking I have given what my husband and I built and memories,,, and no one even cares, he finally come over to me, said you ok ? I said No, he walked away..... But my memories didn't... lov eyou Rae. barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been blessed to have had a place that has been your homestead.The home I live in now is my 13th home since Wayne and I were married. I guess the closest thing to a homestead was Richview where we built our home and the kids went through grade school there and made life time friends.I wish I lived closer to give you a hand. I probably wouldn't be much help...we would run into too many memories that would make us either laugh or spend way to much crying over. I would be a big bawl baby by the time I gave you and hug and said goodbye. Dig up that tulip and while you are at it grab Samuel, the pink flamingos, the disco ball and anything else that has made you smile. I realize you cannot take it all and will have to say goodbye to several things. They will always have a place in your heart that when you think back on them they will still cause you to smile and perhaps laugh.It has to be rough to close that door on that life of 18 years but it has to be exciting to open a new door with Eldon to your final homestead. There are memories in that house of yours, that I will remember always. Wish I was there to say goodbye to you but I have that feeling that our final hug goodbye, in the drive, would cause me to cry like a baby. I love you Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rae: I wish I had words to express my thoughts and feelings as I read your blog. Your ability to express your thoughts and feelings so eloquently is one of the many things I love about you. Am trying to read this blog between meetings and a flood of memories came back washing over me. Your home has been the Frazier homestead for a very long time and while I will miss the physical place I am so glad we will carry forward making new memories with the family that we love so much K

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart is heavy......for you,but selfishly for myself. Your words paint pictures and memories in my heart and mind that remind me what a blessing we have within our family,and the love and closeness we share as sisters :-) I will miss you terribly! But I know we will make many more memories together......so just stay :-(

    ReplyDelete