Monday, October 14, 2013

October Thoughts

I watch the world from my kitchen window...
 Yellow leaves swirl in the cool breeze. ..
Thin gray squirrels hop in the dry grass, searching for acorns and walnuts...
A hawk is silhouetted above the rain soaked clouds. 

I dip my hands in soapy dishwater and breathe deeply. This is my home now. Almost six months. 

Things grow familiar. 
Places fit my feet. 
I feel as though I am surrounded by lovely things here...and I belong.

The last three tomatoes from the garden sit in a blue bowl, almost soupy with ripeness. A bittersweet reminder that summer is over...that autumn surrounds us now and the harvest is complete. That the time of green clover and fireflies will not come again for another year.

I wonder if winter will be my friend at my new home....if I will curl up into a cozy cocoon and watch the snow fly, or will the chill eat away my bones till I can no longer see the beauty here? Will my heart welcome the ice covered creek and frosted pines, or will I hide away from the world of cold cruelty?

Yet, if winter must come, this is the place to face it. In a little cabin with a big fire, crackling away in a brick fireplace...soft cookies baking in the oven...a pot of thick chili cooking on the stove...my husband playing guitar...my dog sleeping in the fluff of quilted bed...silent snowflakes making a white world beyond the windows...

Time goes by.
I try to catch it. Reach out my hands and grasp its wonder...

Thank you, God, for this beautiful world and the blessings you have given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment