Thursday, October 17, 2013

It Doesnt Matter What They Think

When I was in fifth grade my mom took me to Montgomery Wards and bought me a new pair of shoes. This was a rare occasion, as most of my footwear was hand-me-downs, so I delighted in the prospect of something new and shiny...and totally mine.

What I ended up getting was a pair of patent slip-ons, with a slightly pointy toe, and leather the color of a pomegranate. Not red, mind you, but a sweet berry that shined with a hint of sparkle when I danced in the sun.

At first these shoes were stiff and awkward, barely bending the way I thought my feet should fall, slightly restrictive, but I loved them none the less. At night I would push them together under the bed and they resembled a little red heart. I fell asleep, anxious to wear them again the next morning.

Most girls my age were wearing go-go boots back then. Or sophisticated saddle loafers that bore no toe scuffs whatsoever - and smelled like real leather. I knew my classmates didn't really understand the fondness I had for my own shoes. And secretly I knew there were times when my shoes were the subject of muffled laughter.

Before long, the newness wore off. My feet slipped into them without a finger of assistance, the shiny, flesh colored soles became scuffed gray, and the glittery shine fogged over with days of unbridled play and unconscious abuse.

There were days I looked down at my feet and I was embarrassed. And I admit, there were tiny, fleeting moments when I wished I had chosen another style - or times when I dreamed of replacing them with a newer pair.
But in my little girl heart, I loved those shoes. Worn, familiar, and comfortable, I did my best to walk tall and be proud.

It is kind of like my home here. Some people don't understand. It's a little too wild, a bit too dated, a tad unfashionable and a suitable brunt of hillbilly jokes.

And even though this place is now familiar, no longer new, doesn't shine with quite the breathtaking brilliance as it did the day we moved here, my little girl heart still loves it.

And it's the perfect place to dance in the sun.

2 comments:

  1. You said it perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! Comments encourage me to write more! Hope you and your family are doing well.

      Delete