Thursday, August 8, 2013

20 Things I've Learned

Now that our big " building a barn" project is all but finished, I've found the luxury in these rainy days to reflect on the whole experience.

A lot of it wasn't easy. Or fun. In fact, to be honest, I've never felt so miserable and sore and tired...

But instead of dwelling on my bug bites, swollen joints, varicose veins, and over active perspiration, I have tried to see the brighter side.

First of all, I got to spend the past three months with the man I love. Every day. Side by side. Morning till night.

He didn't always like the way I held a hammer, carried a ladder, or crawled like Yurtle the Turtle up the scaffold. But I really didn't like the way he worked through ice cream breaks, dropped sweat down from the rafters, and quite often expected me to be tough and strong as the Brawny man. 
So...
Lets just say it was a good thing that no open containers of dynamite, gasoline or highly flammable substances were nearby.
Sparks flew.

Now that they are simmering to nice reasonable coals, I can look back and see the positive side.

Here are some things I have learned:

1.  There are only 72 inches on a stick rule.
2.  When applying metal siding on a building, the rat guard goes on first.
3.  Templates make work easier and faster.
4.  If its not level, make it level.
5.  If its not square, make it square.
6.  If its not right, take it apart,tear it apart and re-do it till it is.
7. Gatorade is just adult kool aid.
8.  You need to keep hydrated, especially on hot days. Drink  plenty of water, followed by an ice cream sandwich.
9.  Wasps, bees, gnats, mosquitoes and spiders are NOT your friends. Neither are snakes. (Right, Karla?)
10. Even though you are dripping sweat, filthy dirty and cursing under your breath, the birds still sing...
11. Music makes a workday seem softer.
12. Rain dances make you look silly and rarely work.
13. God gave you ten fingers so you could afford to smash one or two once in awhile.
14.  Four pound 2x4's weigh 53.8 pounds by the end of the day.
15. When you are out working in the hot sun, you can always think of something better to do.
16. Never stop believing.
17. Fingernails are meant to have dirt under them once in awhile.
18. Saying "12-2 with a ground"  makes you sound smart.
19. Tarps are poor peoples sheds.
20. Never, ever feed the flame.

And I'm sure I'll learn a lot more before its done!

4 comments:

  1. Groan...I'm so proud of you, but I'm also glad it wasn't me lugging those 2x4's and sweating out in the heat! Nevertheless, I am very proud of your work and you'll own it in a way you never would if it had been hired to be done. You're amazing, Rae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh Rae, that could be my list of learning when we were remodeling the house in Aberdeen! There was drama, laughter, tears and tons of sweat. After scraping a layer of paint off of 945 vintage 1950's beautiful bathroom tiles I knew it was all worth it. What the hubby and I did with that bathroom made all the cuts, scrapes, and now aging knee's so worth it. The house is once again smiling and giving the new tenants a lovely fresh completely remodeled home. I am proud of what we did and even more proud that we still love it other and have loads of my laughter left in our lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Rae, as you may have guessed I meant to say in the last sentence is...proud that we still love each other and.... Geez, some days I wonder if my fingers are still attached to my brain!!

      Delete
  3. Love # 9 and # 20.. you know what they say..:When you see a big ole pot of crazy it's best not to stir it!;_0... love you guys!!!! Kaf

    ReplyDelete