Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Perfect Storm

Although it is technically a garage, we have spent the past few weeks barn raising. From dirt work to     roofing, we've once again formed a matrimonial team that wields hammers, saws, and a vision. Through the years we have somehow managed to remodel, build and create pieces of our dreams.


It's a miracle really.
...That he hasn't taken the hammer to my head or that I haven't pulled the ladder out from under him. Because it's a typical case of left brain/ right brain. He is focused on numbers, logic,reasoning. I prefer creativity, emotion and imagery. And sometimes those two brains working together create a volatile and explosive situation that no one should be subjected to.

I admit, I probably have no earthly business being a part of the process. It requires perfection, calculation, determination and critical thinking. Those kinds of things hurt my brain. So much that I want to run far, far away until its time to pick paint colors and buy pretty pillows.

I have had to grit my teeth and bite my tongue every time my husband has figured and refigured, leveled and re-leveled, squared, aligned and shimmed. "Just put a freakin nail in it, will ya?" I say to myself. We aren't building a rocket ship here!

But, you know, I have come to understand that to him this is his rocket ship. That he not only expects perfection from himself  (and other unwilling  participants), but that he takes immense pride in his finished project. That what he designs and builds and brings to fruitation is a reflection of him. And he expects it to work well, wear well and look amazing.

I guess I'm pretty lucky that he doesn't expect the same mathematical perfection from me. My height, weight and body mass index hasn't been approved by the AMA, FDA or Hollywood since I was 18.

It's a funny thing, too, how rules change when you team up on home improvement projects. Normally I am not allowed to use a hammer. This is due to the fact that I like to hang pictures and things on walls ...and my right brain never seems to get the nail placed correctly the first, second, or third time.
Drywall suffers from extreme abuse. Which ultimately leads to hammer privileges being revoked.

Have you ever had to resort to hammering a nail with the TV remote? Not good.

Yet, when it was time to build this garage, I was suddenly let loose like some freak from the movie Saw. I was allowed drills and mallets and crow bars and even a pneumatic nail gun! Yes, an air powered weapon that shoots three inch nails at the speed of light! I also got to man the miter saw on occasion. A jagged blade spinning at high velocity in the vicinity of fingers and limbs!

And to think my innocent little hammer rights were refused....

The hardest part is over. We've survived the heat and insects and each others wacky brains... so far.
The worst thing is knowing we still have an addition to put on the house. I'm not quite sure I'm ready for another abuse to my right brain. One rocket ship a year is enough to make a girl go crazy...

But, I try to see the positive side. My husband and I have gotten to spend the last few months together every day. We have built a barn. We have advanced our dream.

And, although it may be only temporary- I got my hammer back!

No comments:

Post a Comment